As many of you know, I am privileged to live in Cape Town, South Africa - truly one of the most beautiful places in the world! This year, though, we have been experiencing drought conditions in the Western Cape and it has made us all very aware of how precious water is - and how necessary it is for our well-being! When it doesn't rain and the dams are running dry, each drop becomes more precious than the one before!
This has me thinking about water! We all know how essential it is to our health. But more than that, we are literally MADE mostly of water! When they are born, babies have the highest concentration of water at about 78% of their bodies (dropping to about 65% by one year of age). The body of an adult is about 60% water on average! Your brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and your lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys 79%. Even your bones are watery at 31%.
Imagine that! Every day, I try to drink about 2 litters of water. Especially as a middle aged woman, I want to make sure that I am well hydrated to keep my skin youthful - and because I do a lot of thinking, I want to make sure that my brain is crystal clear! Water keeps my joints lubricated (and we well know what poorly-lubricated joints feel like after the age of 50!). Every morning when I wake up, the first thing I do is to have a glass of water! I keep a bottle of spring water with me while I work and even in the evening while I am relaxing and make sure I keep sipping - by making this a habit, it is much easier to reach my goal of 2 liters of water a day.
Funnily enough, being more aware of water has also started me thinking of how we can also aim to be more LIKE water - which is, after all, our true nature! A famous quote by Bruce Lee says 'Become like water, my friend!'
How can WE embrace our true nature and be more like water? Here are some ideas - let me know if YOU have more!
- Water flows but stays the same. It changes shape according to its receptacle. It is flexible - yet water always retains its true nature. Like water, we should not be rigid and unchanging, but should aim to change and flow when circumstances change - without losing our true nature. Even when there are extremes in temperature, causing water to freeze or become a gas, water still retains its true nature, yet adapts to the environment. The lesson is that we can change, but still remain ourselves!
- Water nourishes and sustains life. Through the process of osmosis, it goes where it is needed. So too can we give of ourselves without depleting all our reserves. We need to be mindful of replenishing ourselves always, but we can give to others and still stay true to ourelves!
- Water cleanses and purifies. This is important for us to remember. Keeping our water reserves replenished, helps us to cleanse our systems and keep our bodies and minds pure.
- Water cools us and the atmosphere around us. When I feel hot and bothered and stressed out, I like to close my eyes for a few seconds and take a minute to think about water - flowing through my body and cooling me down. How refreshing to think of water - not to mention taking a few sips to cool yourself down, literally and figuratively!
- Water has a memory. Research suggests that its actual structure can be affected by things which pass through it. On a simple level, water can retain a memory of, for example, flowers that have floated in it or even toxic substances that it has been exposed to. This makes it important to make sure that what we take into our bodies is as pure as possible. On a more energetic level, I believe that our thoughts and feelings affect our bodies because they can be retained in the water that we are composed of - sometimes for long periods of time. Perhaps positive affirmations, meditation and doing good deeds can all leave a positive energy that influences the way we feel and exist in our environment - because, in a way, they become part of us. Something to meditate on at least!
BTW, while on the subject, I formulated a number of natural remedies to help with water balance.
AquaRite - Supports water balance and reduces bloating and water retention
Kidney Dr - Natural remedy for healthy kidney functioning
UTI-Clear - Natural remedy for bladder & urinary tract health. Clears bladder infections naturally.
Detox Drops - Assists the liver and kidneys in purifying the body from toxins
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ASK ME. Don't forget - Be Like water, my Friend! :-)